Volga garage burns

VFD Facebook photo

Propane heater blamed for fire

VOLGA – A garage was a total loss, along with several vehicles, after a fire over the weekend, according to the Brookings County Sheriff’s Office.

A house fire was reported at 1:50 p.m. Sunday and occurred in the 400 block of Adams Avenue in Volga, Assistant Sheriff Scott Sebring said.

“It was found that the garage was fully engulfed in flames. The fire department was able to extinguish the flames, but the garage was a complete loss, along with a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, a 2020 Kia Telluride SX, a 2019 Polaris four wheeler, snow blower, tools and fishing equipment,” Sebring said.

“The home received smoke damage. The damage to the home and garage is unknown at this time, but the vehicles inside of the garage and other personal items was estimated at $65,050,” Sebring said.

“The neighbor’s home received exterior damage from the heat and was estimated at $850 to repair,” he added. 

“The cause of the fire was believed to be a propane heater that was being used in the garage. The fire is under investigation with the Brookings County Sheriff’s Office,” Sebring said. 

The Volga Fire Department and Brookings Ambulance responded to the scene.

Advertisement


Video News
More In Homepage