Brookings Area Community Band releases summer schedule
The Brookings Area Community Band, one of the region’s most time-honored arts traditions, has announced its 39th concert season.
The band is in its seventeenth year under the baton of David Reynolds, director of performing arts at SDSU. Reynolds states, “I extend a cordial invitation to area musicians to participate. We also hope that music lovers of all ages will come and enjoy the entire series of programs. Bring a lawn chair or a picnic blanket and find out what summer in Brookings is all about.” Complimentary treats are served at each concert.
The first rehearsal is slated for 7:30 p.m. May 30 in the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center, on the campus of South Dakota State University. There is still time for musicians young and old to register and join in on the fun.
Themes for this season’s concerts are:
- June 18: "Around the World in 60 Minutes” The band celebrates the season the music from three continents.
- June 25: "Boots, Brims, and Britches” Children’s night at the community band captures the wonder of the Great American West and includes free cotton candy.
- July 2: “See the U.S.A!” This traditional patriotic concert includes generous portions of flag-waving sing-alongs, as well as a salute to veterans.
- July 16: "Soloist Spotlight" Yi Chen on saxophone and Bradley Snyder, both SDSU music faculty, are featured with the band.
- July 23: “A Night at the Movies" The season finale features 60 years of drive-in favorites.
The band will also perform during the Brookings Summer Arts Festival and the Brookings 4th of July Parade.
All concerts begin at 7:30 p.m. and are held Pioneer Park’s historic band shell. In case of rain, concerts start at 7:45 p.m. and are moved indoors to the Oscar Larson Performing Arts Center. For more information on how to join the band or about the series, please call Kathy Larsen at 605-695-0397.