BROOKINGS – “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes” may be a classic American pop song, but it was reality Monday for staff and patients at the Yorkshire Eye Clinic in Brookings. If eye charts started looking a little hazy, it might have been due to the smoke, said Chief Darrell Hartmann of the Brookings Fire Department.
City firefighters were called to the Yorkshire Drive medical practice at 10:38 a.m. Monday, responding to a report of smoke filling the building.
“There was no fire,” Hartmann said, but a belt on a compressor malfunctioned, began to heat up and blew smoke throughout the clinic. He noted that the compressor system controls venting in the building.
There was little damage, Hartmann said. “The compressor went bad, and we ventilated the building and applied a deodorant to get rid of the rubber smell.”
For the complete article see the 02-26-2013 issue.
Click here to view the 02-26-2013 E-Edition containing the rest of this article.