312 5th Street, Brookings, SD 57006 • Ph: 605-692-6271 • Fax: 605-692-2979
E-EDITION LAST UPDATED:
Current E-Edition

News Sports Court/Police Community Obituaries Calendar Photos Home 

Gas line ignites from workman’s torch

Posted: Friday, Aug 2nd, 2013


Brookings firefighters direct a stream of water toward a gas fire in the Sixth Street construction area. They weren’t attempting to shut down the Thursday morning fire with their hoses, only to cool the area around the flare-up. The volunteers focused their efforts on dousing the Sixth Street Diner and a nearby propane tank. The gas line was shut down without incident, choking off the fire.


• Sixth Street fire sees evacuation of nearby homes, businesses



BROOKINGS – A quick-thinking Brookings Municipal Utilities worker escaped injury Thursday when a gas line in a Sixth Street excavation caught fire. It shot flames a dozen feet into the air.

As part of the Highway 14 reconstruction project, BMU had been on the scene, said Fire Chief Darrell Hartmann. A city workman was in an excavation near the Sixth Street Diner, splicing some power cables.

For the complete article see the 08-02-2013 issue.

Click here to purchase an electronic version of the 08-02-2013 paper.









Select Page:
Within:
Keyword:

Google

Entertainment









 

Copyright 2014 News Media Corporation

News    Classifieds    Shoppe    Search    ContactUs    TalkBack    Subscribe    Information    E-Edition    Business Portal